#OnShelf: Putting your best foot forward
by Louise Burgers. My Fellow South Africans, this week we feature the Prez on a sock; tea for me on World Tea Day; and Cadbury’s adds salted caramel to the mix.Wednesday, 26 May 2021
by Louise Burgers. My Fellow South Africans, this week we feature the Prez on a sock; tea for me on World Tea Day; and Cadbury adds salted caramel to the mix.
One and only sock design
Well at least I’ll have socks with our President’s face on them with the most famous phrase of 2020, “My Fellow South Africans” (also known as the sobriety slogan), as a momento of this pandemic – along with face masks in 10 different colours, excaema from all the hand sanitiser and anthropophobia, of course. OneDayOnly held a sock design competition and Prince Moyo won with his design of the South African flag with President Cyril Ramaphosa’s face and the immortal words he utters every few months when locking us down, as Covid infections surge. Never before have so many drinkers and smokers cried when hearing that phrase. Happy and sad tears.
Tea for two
To commemorate World Tea Day on May 21, Libstar dropped off a pack of its latest brands packed for Woolworths, including a Dandelion tea blend. For a teapot like me on a cold wet rainy, Cape Town, day, it was heaven to have all those teas to taste. After water, tea is in fact the most popular and most frequently consumed drink worldwide. The versatility of tea is such that it can be used in cooking and baking too. Khoisan Gourmet is also a member of the Libstar family. Here are some of the tea trends that Libstar shared with us:
- Consumers are interested in experimenting with teas that have natural botanical blends that include antioxidant superfoods like Matcha and Rooibos.
- Tea is classified as a superfood and water can be swopped for various tea flavours when boiling foods such as pasta, rice, risotto, oats, quinoa, grains or legumes.
- Tea cocktails are gaining flavour with the natural aromatic herbal infusions that tea lends to cocktails.
- Rooibos herbal therapy is a thing now and the Libstar Rooibos Herbal Infusion Range has flavours such as Chamomile & Lavender; Dandelion Root, Ginger, Turmeric & Mint; Lemongrass & Ginseng; Hibiscus, Elderberry & Echinacea.
- Cold brewing of tea is gaining popularity too and can be garnished with mint leaves or fresh fruit. Libstar produces a cold brew fruit infusion range for Woolworths with blood orange and watermelon.
Cadbury Dairy Milk has just introduced two new flavours: Cadbury Dairy Milk Roasted Almond and Cadbury Dairy Milk Salted Caramel. It’s a smooth Dairy Milk chocolate with bursts of nutty roasted almonds or crunchy salted caramel pieces. These limited edition flavours are available in 150g and sold at retail stores nationwide. Cadbury also wants to point out that Cadbury Dairy Milk is from 100% sustainably sourced cocoa and the new flavours are sustainably sourced through the Cocoa Life program.
Louise Burgers is the Publisher and Editor and Co-Founder of RetailingAfrica.com. She has spent over 20 years writing about the FMCG retailing, marketing, media and advertising industry in South Africa and on the African continent. She has specialised in local and Africa consumer trends and is a passionate Afro-optimist who believes it is Africa’s time to rise again and that the Africa Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA) will be a global gamechanger in the next decade.
– Receive the Retailing Africa newsletter every Wednesday • Subscribe here.